Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tips on creating your own patterns

I have found the most interesting patterns are created using a grid. This can be a grid of horizontal and vertical dots, squares, triangles diamonds or rectangles. This is because patterns repeat easier if they are confined to a geometric shape. (Triangle, square, rectangle or square.)  Also a circle can be divided with these shapes. This process also allows the pattern to create a different form when connected in all four directions.

When I am doodling in an unusual shape, I pencil in the grid I need, then doodle in marker and then erase the pencil grid.

Many of my patterns begin with drawing a geometric shape. For example, I might begin with a square. Then I add three lines or shapes inside the square. I repeat that on a grid of nine squares to see what it will look like. I want to make sure it has an interesting mix of black and white. So I don’t decide on where to shade it in until I put it on the grid.

Sometime today, doodle a geometric shape and try this technique. As you look for patterns on the web, be mindful how the artist has used this process to create their pattern. The more you see it, the more innovative you will become doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment